Monday, March 06, 2006

Room 417, Savoy Hotel Apartments

Let's put this bluntly.

Today was utterly depressing. Two great plans gone up in smoke, and they weren't even my fault!

*glowers*

Anyway, I shall put that aside for the moment.

Our first stop today was a souk. It was mainly small shops on the ground level of residential blocks. Most of the shops sold clothes and bags, and everything reminded me of Bangkok.

We had an hour to wander around and it was so not fun walking about on my own, as all the stall owners stood outside gesturing to check out their stuff.

The hour was almost up and I had only bought like five postcards. Then I got this bright idea to buy something quirky for Sam, so I sped off to one of the many sports shops. Bargained the price down, then raced to the tour bus. I was right on time but it was barely half full. :P

Then we were off for our talk at the Dubai Duty Free!

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

It took quite some time for us to get through security; we had to be scanned and everything just so we could enter the departure area.

Then we were led to a small room and sat down to hear all about Dubai Airport's wonderful duty free - how it all started, how much revenue they bring in, how they train their staff, etc.

Of course the talk went into over-time and when it was finally done and we were all ready to spring out of our seats and go shop...................

"Sorry, we're running out of time so we won't have time to shop. We'll have to leave immediately."

You should've seen the crestfallen expressions on our faces as we were hurried out through security again. The lecturers assured us we'd get some time to shop before our actual departure, but that wasn't very convincing considering how little time we've had to do everything so far. :P

We were running reeeeeeaaaaaaalllly late for our after-lunch talk, so we were only allowed half an hour for lunch. Bah. Never hurry me when I'm eating.

Then it was off again to visit Nakheel (which means "Palm" in Arabic if I'm not wrong), the people behind some of the most (if not THE most) gorgeous waterfront homes you will ever find. And waterfront is an understatement. The man-made islands the properties are on actually stretch out into the sea...or in the case of The World (the last picture below), are individual islands by themselves.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

As someone later commented, it's depressing knowing you can never live in these places. :P

The whole building was all grand and extravagant (the pictures don't do justice) - our talk was held in a posh air-conditioned mini-theatre - and probably the first talk I managed to stay awake throughout.

We actually finished on time and left with heavy bags full of property brochures (a little too intent on making me even more jealous, I see!). Everyone was in high spirits, party because of the fascinating talk...

...But mostly 'cos our next stop was the third-largest shopping mall in the world, the Mall of the Emirates!

As you might expect, I was bursting with excitement as the enormous complex came into view, with the silver ski dome towering above the place.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

We actually circled the mall once (everyone was getting restless) before the bus finally dropped at an entrance that happened to be near a large Zara.

BUT before we could get started exploring, we had to have a brief introduction to the mall, right in the middle of the ground floor.

As everyone crowded below the magnificent glass dome overhead, I happened to bump into one of the lecturers, who, after getting confirmation that I was from DMC, asked me to do a report on our visit to the mall.

A report. All right.

Then she practically yanked me to the front of the group to pay attention. Truth to be told, I only managed to pay attention because of the report. The guy talked a bit about the architecture of the place (and emphasised that the dome was the highest in a shopping mall or something like that).

Oooh! Off to shop!

But wait. We still had to visit the mall's attraction, the ski dome. :P

We stood staring in through the glass walls at people running around the fake snow for a while.

Then it was really time to shop.

We had taken this long route to the ski dome, and had passed many interesting shops. So I was all ready to sprint off as the lecturers shouted out last minute instructions.

"Stay in pairs or you'll get lost!"

Blah, like I will. Stay in pairs and get lost, I mean.

"Anyone wants to enter the ski dome? You can enter for free but it'll take a long time getting the equipment so you won't have any time to shop."

Like who in their right mind...

"All right, you may go. Meet near Zara at 6 p.m."

Boo. Barely an hour to shop.

*Jessica turns to leave*

"Wait, who was the student assigned to report on the mall?"

Uh-oh.

Uh-oh.

UH-OH.

The moment I heard that I knew I was in trouble.

*Jessica makes her way slowly through the departing crowd*

"Yes?"

"You'll have to come with us to the ski dome."

What the #$%^&*!!!!!!!!!

"Erm..."

And that was how I found myself trudging along behind one lecturer and three other students (who had voluntarily gone along), cursing myself for not making a run for it when I could.

As expected, it took some time getting our equipment - well, mainly jackets and pants and socks and boots.

"If we hurry we can still have time to shop."

We better!

We entered the snow area and were immediately hit with a gush of air at -3 ºC.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Over the next who-knows-how-long (I only know it was TOO long), we took way too many photos up on the bridge and videos of us tobogganing down the ice hill. By the end, surprise! There was absolutely no feeling in my hands.

"So did you enjoy it? It was fun wasn't it?"

"Yeah." Except that I saw more than enough real snow on my last holiday!

We changed out quickly but had to wait to get our bags back. I watched the seconds tick off my watch. It was positively excrutiating.

Finally I swung my backpack over my shoulder, told the others I wasn't following them to Carrefour..............and sprinted off. Less than half an hour!

I meant it. I seriously ran from store to store as I made my way back to Zara. Along the way I popped into a large Topshop with tons of stock, including some old stuff. Most were more expensive than in Singapore, so I left and continued my way. I passed Zara and entered NEXT, where I made a beeline for my black patent leather flats. Then it was back to Zara. Found the striped shirts; they were cheaper. Took the navy blue one but had to wait for a sales assistant to get the red one in my size. Wanted to try some jeans but there was no time.

Got back to the meeting point but there was no one around! Capitalised on it by heading down another wing of the mall. Went into a large shoe shop and was about to return to the meeting point...when I saw a huge Forever21 store.

Knew I was seriously running out of time but couldn't help help going in to look. There was SO MUCH STOCK and so many things that I wanted to try.

Sniffed and left.

I was almost the last person on the bus!

Sadly waved goodbye to the mall as we headed back to the hotel. (Kidding - about the waving part. Of course I was sad!!!)

Got back to the hotel after a loooong traffic jam. Remained inconsolable despite everyone pointing out that at least I bought something. I mean, if I didn't know what size I wore and where to find what I wanted, I would have left empty-handed for goodness' sake! Recall that I didn't even have time to try anything on. :P

Changed into more comfortable clothes (we had been in formal all day for the talks) and boarded two smaller buses.

Another traffic jam. This time even worse. In fact, it looked like we might even miss our cruise.

But luckily, we managed to get there just in time. Had to enter a crowded dhow to cross over to ours. The bottom level was enclosed and dimly lit, and a buffet was set out at the front. There was juice but we could order wine if we wanted, for an extra charge. I left my wallet in the hotel so too bad.

Most of the students went up to the deck to enjoy the view; I ate first.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

For the first time, I didn't go for a second helping. As everyone started returning to the dining area, I went upstairs. It was very cold, what with the night air and the fact that the dhow was moving pretty fast, but I got a seat and enjoyed the view. In fact, I didn't even leave the deck till it was time to go. It was a loooooong cruise down the scenic Creek and back, with city lights burning at both ends and a sprinkle of stars in the sky. Sometime along the way, loud music starting blasting out from below. Apparently everyone was getting up to dance. Couldn't be bothered to move so I just stayed there shivering in the wind.

I must've looked pretty pathetic.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket

Image hosting by Photobucket